Michael Blaivas organized an exciting preconference course on evaluation of the acutely decompensating patient. Bret Nelson (speaking about vascular catastrophes) and Jim Tsung (describing the nuances of this evaluation in the pediatric patient) were among those presenting.
Faculty from emergency and critical care backgrounds gave cutting-edge presentations and the feedback from registrants was excellent. Faculty and their lectures after the break!
Lots going on at this year’s AIUM conference. Sailing into San Diego harbor (chaperoned by the US Navy!), Bret Nelson and Jim Tsung speaking at Michael Blaivas’ pre-conference course, Phil Andrus selected as AIUM’s social media maven, and more!
Check in for updates of each conference day!
Our annual Emergency and Critical Care Ultrasound CME course was a great success! Special thanks to our faculty:
Phil Andrus, Danny Duque, Bret Nelson, Joe Novik, Jim Tsung, Scott Weingart, as well as Shefali Trivedi and Kanika Gupta.
More images after the break.
The trauma handout is available as a PDF here.
- Heron MP, Hoyert DL, Murphy SL, Xu JQ, Kochanek KD, Tejada-Vera B. Deaths: Final data for 2006. National vital statistics reports; vol 57 no 14. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2009.
- Scalea TM, Rodriguez A, Chiu WC, Brenneman FD, Fallon WF Jr, Kato K, McKenney MG, Nerlich ML, Ochsner MG, Yoshii H. Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma (FAST): results from an international consensus conference. J Trauma,1999;46:466-72. Price D, Simon BC, Park RS. Evolution of emergency ultrasound. California J Emerg Med.2003;4:82-88.
- Kirkpatrick AW, Sirois M, Laupland KB, Liu D, Rowan K, Ball CG, Hameed SM, Brown R, Simons R, Dulchavsky SA, Hamiilton DR, Nicolaou S. Hand-held thoracic sonography for detecting post-traumatic pneumothoraces: the Extended Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma (EFAST). J Trauma,2004;57:288-95.
- Lichtenstein D, Meziere G, Lascols N, Biderman P, Courret JP, Gepner A, Goldstein I, Tenoudji-Cohen M. Ultrasound diagnosis of occult pneumothorax. Crit Care Med,2005;33:1231-8.
- Ma OJ, Mateer JR, Ogata M, Kefer MP, Wittmann D, Aprahamian C. Prospective analysis of a rapid trauma ultrasound examination performed by emergency physicians. J Trauma,1995;38:879-85.
- Rozycki GS, Ochsner MG, Schmidt JA, Frankel HL, Davis TP, Wang D, Champion HR. A prospective study of surgeon-performed ultrasound as the primary adjuvant modality for injured patient assessment. J Trauma,1995;39:492-500.
- Ma OJ, Mateer JR. Trauma ultrasound examination versus chest radiography in the detection of hemothorax. Ann Emerg Med, 1997;29:312-6.
- Abrams BJ, Sukumvanich P, Seibel R, Moscati R, Jehle D. Ultrasound for the detection of intraperitoneal fluid: the role of Trendelenburg positioning. Am J Emerg Med,1999;17:117-20.
- Reardon R, Ultrasound in Trauma – The FAST Exam. In sonoguide. Retrieved 3/1/2010, from http://sonoguide.com/FAST.html.
- V. Noble, B. Nelson and A.N. Sutingco, Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma (FAST): Manual of emergency and critical care ultrasound (1st edn), Cambridge University Press, New York (2007).
- T Soldatos, K Chatzimichail, M Papathanasiou, et al. Optic nerve sonography: a new window for the non-invasive evaluation of intracranial pressure in brain injury. Emerg Med J 2009 26: 630-634.
- Kevin R. Roth, Gregory Gafni-Pappas, Unique Method of Ocular Ultrasound Using Transparent Dressings, The Journal of Emergency Medicine, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 25 January 2010, ISSN 0736-4679, DOI: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2009.10.020.
- Tayal VS, Neulander M, Norton HJ, Foster T, Saunders T, Blaivas M, Emergency Department Sonographic Measurement of Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter to Detect Findings of Increased Intracranial Pressure in Adult Head Injury Patients, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Volume 49, Issue 4, April 2007, Pages 508-514.
- Blaivas M, Theodoro D, Sierzenski P. Elevated intracranial pressure detected by bedside emergency ultrasonography of the optic nerve sheath. Acad Emer Med.2003;10:376-381.
- Blaivas M. Bedside emergency department ultrasonography in the evaluation of ocular pathology. Acad Emerg Med.2000;7:947-950.
- V. Noble, B. Nelson and A.N. Sutingco, Ocular ultrasound: Manual of emergency and critical care ultrasound (1st edn), Cambridge University Press, New York (2007).
- Personal Collection
- Visible Human Project
Phillip Andrus, MD, FACEP
Department of Emergency Medicine
Division of Emergency Critical Care
Division of Emergency Ultrasound
1 Gustave L. Levy Place
New York, NY 10024
Is finally here, see you this Monday. We have a great program put together with lectures by great speakers on topics you need to hear. The morning of interactive lectures is followed by an afternoon of hands on practice on live models. Some quick links: Introduction Faculty Schedule